Before Treatment:
Cleaning Dust:
Photomicrographs of "Dust":
Mending with Japanese Tissue and Methyl Cellulose:
After Treatment:
Conservation Treatment of
INSTITVTION DE LA FAMILLE
DV SAINT ENFENT IESVS
For
my studio response to this course I decided to complete a conservation
treatment on the oldest book I own: Institvtion de la Famille dv Saint Enfent
Iesvs, a small devotional book used for meditation on the Holy Family,
published in France in 1669. The
treatments that I conducted include cleaning between each page with a brush,
reattaching loose pages with paste and Japanese papers, detaching and
re-adhering previously treated endsheets, and conditioning the leather on the
covers. Following treatment, I constructed protective enclosures for the book,
including a paperboard wrapper and a double-tray (or clam-shell) box. I also wrote,
printed, and bound a small pamphlet book which fits inside the clam-shell box,
detailing my interactions with this book. This project is intended to be an
integration of the disciplines of art conservation, book arts, and art history,
and seeks to present this personal devotional object in a similarly intimate
format.
I
did not intend to perform a complete restoration of the book; such practice is
not typical for conservators and can often result in damage to the research
value of the item being treated. For example, full restoration of an item may
require the removal or replacement of certain components which would then need
to be replicated, diminishing the object’s authenticity. And as many art
historians and conservators have noted, particularly Kathryn Rudy in her paper Dirty Books: Quantifying Patterns of Use in
Medieval Manuscripts Using a Densitometer, dirty paper actually has
research value.[1] Modern
imaging techniques allow researchers to quantify grimy fingerprints into actual
information about how these objects were used. While I do not have access to a
densitometer and so could not conduct similar tests on my book, I was able to speculate
as to which pages received the most use by examining the softness and thinness
of the paper, differences in color, and the amount of dirt between the pages.
I
treated this book alongside other projects during an internship at the Georgia
Archives of the Board of Regents in Morrow, Georgia while working under the
instruction of book conservator Kim Norman. (The book itself is from my
personal collection). While I did not attempt to remove any oil or smudges from
the paper, I did clean out the gutters between each page which were full of dirt
and other matter, much of which I suspect was actually small particles of
leather from the cover which had made their way through the signatures of the
book. I used a very soft Japanese brush, and on Kim Norman’s advice, I saved
every last speck of dust. Then we looked at it under a microscope. We found
everything ranging from seeds and other plant matter, to animal or human hair,
and even an insect wing. Using a machine called an ultrasonic welder, I
encapsulated all of this book “dust” between two sheets of Mylar which I then
bound into my accompanying pamphlet.
This
book was originally intended for use in the veneration of the Holy Family, a
practice which gained popularity as a cult in Western Christianity during the
17th century when this book was published.[2]
It contains prayers, litanies, devotional exercises, as well as meditations for
the 25th day of the month, honoring Christmas day year round. There
are also special readings for the Mass, Holy Communion, and confession. The
book was published in 1669 in Lyon, France, which was a major center of
printing in Europe during this period.[3]
Soeur Boilaud Hospitalière is the book’s apparent owner, as her name is signed
inside the front cover. Clearly a nun, she must have worked in some capacity in
a hospital.
In
all likelihood, this book may have had many owners over the years. Sister
Boilaud may have even purchased the book secondhand herself. Unlike books of
hours, with their hand-written text and painstakingly detailed illuminations
all created with a wealthy patron in mind, printed volumes like these were much
more commonplace items. However, this book remains a devotional object, and as
such is likely to have been intimately precious to at least one person, despite
its lack of personalization. This exchange and intermingling of public and
personal spaces and objects is central to discussions of devotional art. In my treatment
of this antique book, I hope to embody this relationship as my audience peeks
into the private and public lives of Sister Boilaud as a devotee and of myself
as an observer.
[1] Kathryn M. Rudy, “Dirty Books:
Quantifying Patterns of Use in Medieval Manuscripts Using a Densitometer,” Journal
of Historians of Netherlandish Art. Volume 2. Issue 1-2 (2010).
<http://www.jhna.org/index.php/past-issues/volume-2-issue-1-2/129-dirty-books>
Accessed December 2, 2014.
[2]
“Feast of the Holy Family,” Encyclopedia
Britannica. <http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/269779/Feast-of-the-Holy-Family>
Accessed December 2, 2014.
[3] “Lyon,”
Encyclopedia Britannica. <http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/352917/Lyon>
Accessed December 2, 2014.
Pamphlet
Text
The pamphlet you are currently holding lives
inside of a box with another book.
That book is inside of a “wrapper,” which is
what book conservators call a paper covering with folds and flaps and
satisfyingly rounded corners that fits around a book just right.
Wrappers help protect rare and delicate
books from further damage, while boxes (like the one you found this pamphlet
in) are for especially rare and
delicate books. My book is neither especially rare nor delicate, but it is over
three hundred years old, and so I made a wrapper and a box for it anyhow.
Let me tell you about my book.
Actually, first you should check out this
stuff over here on your right. It used to be inside the book, but I cleaned it
out with a very soft brush…and then I encapsulated it between sheets of Mylar.
[encapsulated dust]
Can you find the bug’s wing?
I bought my book in Paris in 2010. Have you
ever been to Paris? All along the Seine, which flows through the very center of
the city, there are countless green metal boxes filled with books. These are
owned by bouquinistes, who have been
selling books on the banks of the Seine since the Middle Ages.
I spent hours looking for the oldest, most
magical book I could find. I knew my book was mine right away, for three very
important reasons:
1. It was the perfect size and shape.
2. It belonged to a lady, Soeur Boilaud
Hospitalière, who had signed her name inside the cover.
3. I could afford it.
My book is a little devotional volume
venerating the Holy Family, a practice which first became popular in Europe
during the 17th century when the book was published.
Soeur Boilaud Hospitalière must have worked
in some capacity at a hospital, possibly as a nurse. I imagine her reading
through the prayers by candlelight while her patients slept, perhaps
absentmindedly carving her initials into the front cover.
(Can you see the A? Was her name Antoinette?
Agnes? Ambroise?)
You’ll see she dripped some wax on page 172,
which reads:
MEDITATION
Pour le 25. de Decembre ∫ur le My∫tere de la
Nai∫∫ance du Fils de Dieu dans l’E∫table.
(translation)
MEDITATION
For the 25th
of December on the Mystery of the Birth of the Son of God in the Stable.
After allowing it to rest on one of my many
bookshelves for a few years after my return from Europe, I pulled out this
little volume this year to perform a few basic conservation treatments.
I began by gently brushing the dust from
between every page, the results of which you saw a few moments ago. Next I
anchored several loose pages using Japanese tissue. Finally I reversed an
existing treatment to the endsheets which had risked damaging the engraving on
the facing title page and re-secured the endsheets with tissue mends.
I am not the first person to treat this
book; possibly you can spot some older mends to the covers and the cracks in
the spine. It was not my intention to “restore” the book to its original condition,
although I do enjoy imagining how it once looked. (Did you notice that the fore
edge is slightly red? It must have once been very vibrant.)
I hope that plenty of Soeur Boilaud’s
fingerprints are left to mingle with my own, and yours.











No comments:
Post a Comment