Pages

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Nexus Press show at The Contemporary


Last weekend I visited the Atlanta Contemporary Art Center to check out their Nexus Press show that's up right now. The show is called Endless Road: A Look at Nexus Press. Here's part of the blurb about it from The Contemporary's website: "The exhibition Endless Road: A Look at Nexus Press will be the first presentation at Atlanta Contemporary Art Center exploring Nexus Press’ innovative work producing artists’ books. An early adopter of experimental offset printing, the Press traversed the unknown creating books, posters, flyers, and statements that lived and live beyond their covers. This is not the definitive Nexus Press exhibition, rather what we hope to be an opportunity to open a dialog about pioneering and celebrating this institution’s legacy."

I've had the opportunity to page through many Nexus-published artists' books while I was a student at SCAD Atlanta--the ACA Library at SCAD's artists' book collection houses a complete collection of Nexus Press books. (This is an incredible collection of over 2100 books managed by a wonderful librarian, Mary Murphy, and anyone can make an appointment to view them). I also have ties to former members of Nexus press, through college professors (Lisa Hart) and my current internship supervisor at the Georgia Archives, Kim Norman. I also own a Nexus Press artists' book, which was a wonderful gift from Lisa Hart! So I'm all about Nexus, though I am somewhat embarrassed to admit that this was somehow my FIRST VISIT ever to the Contemporary.

The show was a delightful collection of antique book and photo equipment, Nexus ephemera tacked to bulletin boards, and, of course, TONS of artists' books for us to hold and look through. Here are some photos:

One of the bulletin boards on the left, and a desk used by Nexus on the right.

 Nexus Press were masters of the offset medium in book arts.


One of these lovely ladies (JoAnne Paschall) is a book arts professor at Georgia State.


This was always a favorite artists' book for professors to pull out when I was at SCAD. On each cigarette in the pack is printed, "I swear this is absolutely the last cigarette I will ever smoke."

No comments:

Post a Comment