Hello world! My name is Michelle and I am starting this blog primarily as a way to help keep my brain organized as I work to become an art conservator. Here is some background about me:
I graduated from the Savannah College of Art and Design in 2011 with a Bachelors of Fine Arts, majoring in printmaking and minoring in book arts. I was trained in many methods of hand printing, including stone and plate lithography; copperplate etching, drypoint, aquatint, and photogravure; serigraphy; typesetting and letterpress; woodcut; monotype; etc. My book arts curriculum included papermaking (Western) and a broad survey of bookbinding methods such as coptic, accordion, Japanese stab, and case binding, as well as experimental structures.
During my last year in school I became interested in book repair and restoration. After considering graduate study in library science and book arts, my attention gradually transitioned towards art conservation as a career. I am interested in both book and paper conservation and am trying to learn as much as I can about both fields.
Since graduation, in preparation for applying to graduate conservation programs, I have completed chemistry courses and spent two months (about 80 hours) working as an intern in the preservation lab at the Robert W. Woodruff Library at Emory University in Atlanta. After being trained in pamphlet rebinding and simple repairs, I began a project to preserve a scrapbook from 1911. The scrapbook was in grave disrepair, and under the direction of conservator Ann Frellsen I completed the task of bringing the scrapbook to a stable state. I'll discuss this project more in an upcoming post!
I am currently studying under the direction of experienced art restorer Leonora Okarma Weaver in Decatur, Georgia, as well as reading up on conservation on my own. I'll close this post with a photograph from my scrapbook project at Emory--poor, sad crumbly paper. Bye for now!
No comments:
Post a Comment